|Basic facts about
- The adrenal
cortex secretes hydrocortisone (cortisol)
- There are two types of steroid activity
minerlocorticoid and glucocorticoid activity.
- Long term treatment of steroids (for the 3 weeks)
require a steroid card as side effects and adverse
effects are more likely to occur in long term treatment.
- steroids can be injected or taken orally. Other
dosage forms include nasal sprays and inhalers.
- Addison's disease and hypopituatism is causes/due to
- Steroids have various uses such as in asthma, eczma,
stress, and in some cases as an anti-emetic
- cortisol is secreted in times of stress and decrease
the stress response.
- steroids can suppress the immune system, can may
cause an increase risk of infection, this is one reason
why they are used for autoimmune disorders such as
1. Which one of the following side-effects of
hydrocortisone is caused by its mineralocorticoid
C. muscle wasting
1. The mineralocorticoid activity of
hydrocortisone causes sodium and water retention which
can result in hypertenstion.
Answer is D.
Side-effects of steroids
The side effects
of steroids can be split into two categories
mineralcorticoid and glucocorticoid.
- hypertension, sodium and water retention and potassium
- Muscle wasting
- Cushing's syndrome